13 September 2013

Bricks/Floor from from Demolished Rubble ...

Usually when a building/bathroom/shed etc. is being demolished a completely new one takes over its place. this is done without leaving any trace of what has been there before, perhaps a little picture on the wall but that's it. I was interested in using the materials from the old building in the new one. I was inspired by the terrazzo floors. although these floors are made from waste produced in the marble mines, they are really decent and have a good quality which you can see and feel. I wanted to find out if we could use our own waste produced when demolishing something. I did several test with different materials and made a selection of which materials are possible, I used crushed bricks and roof tiles as a pigment. between 20-30% of new cement is added to bind everything to one solid floor which can last 100th of years. in the end I made 3 different examples of what it could look like, but basically any combination is possible.. material source by Dave Hakkens





dave hakkens: rubble floor








 



Materials (above) You Can Turn to Pigment (Below)




 

 Sanding